The only thing that this potato salad has in common with your typical potato salads is the use of potato. Gone are the unappetizing bland shades of beige and in its stead are the bright greens, tart flavors, and more nutritious ingredients. The beans and potatoes in this recipe are sure to fill you up and the green beans and fennel add some freshness. (This may be the first potato salad you can describe as fresh-tasting.)
Skip out the mayonnaise for this delicious homemade dressing. Not only does this dressing go well with most any salad, it’s easy to make a batch of it to keep in your fridge for later uses. It’s sharp, acidic, and the perfect complement to this potato salad. Don’t be surprised if you end up going for seconds.
If you are enjoying this recipe series, you can check out the previous CSA recipe here:
Easy Kale Chips
Psst, some of our Johnson Fitness & Wellness stores are actually CSA pickup locations! We’ve got free totes to carry all of your goodies in. The CSA program that we use is organized by Westridge Organic Produce. To find out more about our local Madison, WI CSA program, you can go here!
Green Bean and Potato Salad with Fennel
1 lb Green Beans
10-12 Small Red Potatoes
1/4 Fennel Bulb, finely chopped
1/2 Cup Kalamata Olives
1 Can White Kidney Beans
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Tbs Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
1 Tsp Sugar
Juice from 1/2 Lemon
Salt and Pepper
- Slice red potatoes into 1/4” – 1/2” slices and sauté in a little olive oil over medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes, or until tender and brown bits begin to form.
- Remove tips from the green beans. Bring a pot of water to a boil, add a little salt. Add green beans and blanch them in the boiling water for about two minutes, or until they turn bright green. Remove from heat and dump the water.
- When beans and potatoes have cooled, combine both in a large salad bowl.
- Thinly slice fennel bulb. Drain liquid from the can of white kidney beans. Roughly chop kalamata olives and scallions. Add all to the salad bowl and stir to combine.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients until well-combined. Pour over the salad and stir until the salad ingredients are well-coated. Garnish with chopped, fresh parsley and some of the fennel fronds, if desired.